8-year-old dies after falling into abandoned manhole at Budumburam

Authorities are probing safety lapses at Blue Rose Estate in Budumburam after an 8-year-old boy drowned in an abandoned, water-filled manhole on Friday, November 28, 2025.
The Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) says its crew responded within minutes after receiving a distress call at 7:40 a.m., reporting that two boys had fallen into the deep, water-logged pit. The team arrived at 7:54 a.m.
According to Central Regional GNFS PRO, DO II Abdul Hudu Wasiu, residents had already pulled out the first victim, 16-year-old Andrews, and sent him to St. Gregory Hospital before the fire crew arrived.
Firefighters immediately turned to rescuing the second child, 8-year-old Elijah Carbah, who remained trapped in the abandoned manhole. He was retrieved and rushed to the same facility.
“The team quickly initiated a rescue operation and retrieved the second victim, 8-year-old Elijah Carbah, who was also rushed to the same hospital, where he sadly passed away,” the GNFS said in its report.
The incident has renewed concerns over unsecured and neglected infrastructure in residential communities, with investigators expected to determine who is responsible for the open manhole.



