Politics

Ofori-Atta and Ernest Darko Akore Were Not on Stop List – Manasseh Azure Clarifies

Investigative journalist Manasseh Azure Awuni has clarified details surrounding the recent controversy involving former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta and businessman Ernest Darko Akore, stating that contrary to public speculation, neither of the two men was on any security stop list.

Speaking on TV3’s Keypoints on Saturday, November 29, 2025, Manasseh noted that his earlier publication was not based on opinion but on verified information gathered from multiple security sources.

According to him, his concerns began after watching an interview with KSM, during which it was suggested that although the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP) had shown readiness to act in certain corruption-related cases, other state institutions were allegedly resisting. This prompted Manasseh to conduct his own checks within the security services.

Manasseh said he contacted officials to verify whether Ken Ofori-Atta had been prevented from travelling during the investigation into the SML case. “The response I received was that security agencies watched him leave because he was not on any stop list, and they had no lawful grounds to stop him,” he explained.

He said further checks revealed that Ernest Darko Akore, another individual linked to the SML matter, also travelled freely. Security officers confirmed to him that Mr. Akore was likewise not flagged, and therefore could not be prevented from travelling.

“I asked the OSP whether they had requested assistance from the security agencies to restrict these individuals from leaving the country. The Special Prosecutor told me they had not made such a request,” Manasseh recounted. He added that the OSP later referenced an earlier public statement claiming that even if a request had been made, the agencies would not have cooperated, a position Manasseh challenged because it contradicted the facts available to him.

Manasseh further disclosed passport details of the individuals involved to support his findings. He stated that Ernest Akoreholds a valid U.S. passport expiring on August 4, 2031, while Ken Ofori-Atta travelled with a Ghanaian passport containing three valid visas, a U.S. visa valid until February 14, 2026, a U.K. visa valid until April 21, 2032, and a Canadian visa expiring May 31, 2031.

The award-winning journalist insisted that his publication was meant to present factual clarity, not accusations: “My report was based on what the security institutions themselves confirmed. The claim that these individuals were on a stop list was simply not true.”

Related Articles

Back to top button